- Bernard Field Station
Information about plants and animals native to Claremont’s coastal sage scrub ecosystem. Tours of this Claremont Colleges’ educational facility can be arranged.
- Bees: Creating nests, buzz pollination video, orchard bee nest building video
- Chino Basin Water Conservation District
An excellent resource! Classes, workshops, plant finder, events, demonstration garden, free landscape design help, tours, seed library.
- Dave's Garden
- Gardening at Home with Kids (HomeAdvisor)
An excellent source of ideas!
- Gardening in LA
Yvonne Savio managed LA Master Gardener program for many years; lots of local gardening info, news, blog, SoCal gardening events, job listings, list of talks, etc.
- Growing Food: contains links to many other websites; suggested by the new gardeners in the Lynwood family
- Institute for Urban Ecology
- Metropolitan Water District “BeWaterWise” Site
Lots of information about saving water, and if you go to the Garden Spot page there is a lot of information about plants to choose, designing, gardens to visit, and classes to take.
- National Gardening Association
- National Wildlife Federation Certified Wildlife Habitat
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (now called "California Botanic Garden")
Information about classes, school tours, research activities, volunteer opportunities at this renowned garden featuring California native plants.
- Southern California Horticultural Society
- Sunset Magazine
Full of information about ornamental and food gardening, including design solutions for large and small gardens, container gardening, waterwise gardening, etc. There are lots of pictures of plants and garden makeovers to inspire you!
- The Gold Country Water District
Not local, but some terrific info. A lot about how to irrigate properly, designing gardens, and an excellent virtual tour of waterwise gardens.
- Trees are Good
A project of the International Society of Arboriculture which provides lots of info about the value of trees, how to choose and care for them, how to prune, and how to avoid/treat common hazards.
- "Ultimate Guide to Tackling Garden Pests Naturally"
- University of California Cooperative Extension, San Bernardino County
Info on using grass clippings, on saving water in the landscape, and more.
- University of California Cooperative Extension, Los Angeles County
Garden tips and checklists of garden tasks arranged by month. There is lots of other info if you look around, such as articles on gardening, FAQs, and brochures on topics such as garden pests, irrigation, and mulching.
- University of California Cooperative Extension, Santa Clara County
Not our area, but some good info: nice photo gallery of waterwise plants and ones not susceptible to oak root fungus, along with other info too.
- University of California Integrated Pest Management Program
Great resource with loads of photos of pests of all kinds of plants and info about how to deal with them. Also has info on care and pruning of the plants.
- Vegetable Gardening Online